Posted on: 24 April 2017
Are you glad that summer has finally arrived? Do you not even want to think about winter now? Although cold winter weather may be the last thing that you want to consider once spring and summer weather come along, it's important to make sure that your home is ready for the next time cold weather rolls around. Aside from making sure that your home is properly insulated, something that helps in every season, keeping your furnace in working order is crucial to having a warm home in the winter. Some important things that you can do to ensure that your home is ready for next winter are:
Replace filters: Now is a good time to replace any of the filters that your furnace uses. A dirty filter can attract moisture, something which can then allow mold and mildew to start to grow on the filter and within the air ducts. Unfortunately, mold growing within your duct work can cause serious health problems. Even in healthy people, mold exposure can cause allergy or asthma symptoms. In addition to allowing mold and mildew to grow, the excess moisture could also cause metal parts to rust or oxidize, creating significant damage over time. By changing your furnace filters now, you'll help prevent a costly furnace repair from being necessary in the near future.
Have the electrical system checked out: The last thing that you want when you turn your furnace in the winter is to have a short or some other electrical problem. Not only does this prevent your furnace from heating your home, an electrical issue could create an electrical fire. Having a professional tune up your furnace before completely shutting it down for the summer can help you to avoid a much more expensive emergency furnace repair when the temperatures start to drop in the autumn.
Check or install carbon monoxide detector: Unless your furnace is entirely electric, spring is a good time for you to check your carbon monoxide detector to make sure that it's still working. If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector, you should have one installed near your furnace as soon as possible. A working carbon monoxide detector is essential to letting you know if your furnace develops a potentially deadly leak. Although a properly maintained furnace is perfectly safe, a carbon monoxide leak can be extremely dangerous. At only 70 parts per million, carbon monoxide can cause headaches, dizziness, and more. 150 parts per million or higher of carbon monoxide can result in unconsciousness and death. Should a leak occur, a professional furnace repair, like Custom Comfort, can make your furnace safe to use once again.Share